Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Atonement- By Dan Williamson

My name is Daniel Williamson, I am a native to Colorado, I work in Emergency Medicine, I am married to a beautiful and amazing woman named Jamie and I am the father of two wonderful little girls, Kylie and Victoria. Together with all of these titles I hold, I have another which is most precious to me, that of a member of the Church of Jesus Christ Latter-day Saints, I am an Elder in the Church, a Returned Missionary, I am a Mormon.
I say that my membership in the Church is most precious to me, some may criticize me for saying this, stating that nothing should come before my wife and kids, to them I say that without the Gospel I would not have any of these wonderful blessings (least of all because it was at a Church Young Single Adult ward that I met my eternal companion). There are many people who would say “I don’t know where I would be if I didn’t have the Gospel”; I am not among them. I know my weaknesses, I know of what evil I am quite capable and I know the consequences thereof and it is for this reason that I am so grateful for this atoning gospel.
I invite all of those who may be reading this to ponder with me both the Atonement and the Gospel of Jesus Christ and what they can do in our lives.
First, the most basic question is also the one with the most profound answer:
What is the Atonement of Jesus Christ?- To answer this question we can first break the word down to its syllables: AT/ONE/MENT. It is the Plan set forth By God to make us “At One” with Him again. In the Church we hear the word Zion many times, this means “Of one heart and one mind”, if we are to truly obtain this Zion, we must be of one heart and one mind with our Heavenly Father. To become one with Him again indicates that at some point there was a separation from Him. Let’s recount briefly, the story of Adam and Eve.
We know that they lived in paradisiacal glory with our Heavenly Father in a state of blissful happiness and immortality. We know that they were given two contradictory commandments (meaning that to keep one requires breaking the other) to multiply and replenish the Earth and to not partake of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. How long they remained in this state I do not know, but I do know that it was not designed to last, they did not have the knowledge required to multiply and replenish the Earth, this knowledge was to be obtained as mortals, where they may learn from their own experience the good from the evil.
Satan, in an ignorant attempt to sabotage God’s plan, tempted the couple and they did partake after being beguiled (deceived), for which they were cast out of God’s presence. Now you tell me what their sin was… Was it adultery? Murder? Fornication? Stealing? Nope, none of the above, they took a bite of a fruit that they didn’t even get to finish, and yet it was still enough to make Heavenly Father say “OUT!”. Now think back on your life, have you done anything worse than taste a piece of fruit (take this one literally) that you were told to leave well enough alone? I know I have.
Now some will say that God loves us and will remove all impurity from our lives just because. Others will say that he will allow sin no matter what and perhaps most commonly some will say “well its small” or “I do the big things, surely God will just ignore the small stuff”. These are deceptions from the devil himself, “for God cannot look upon sin with ANY degree of allowance”. To illustrate this, I want you to imagine your favorite food. Got it? Okay now imagine if I were to offer you a lifetime supply of that food, you could have as much or little as you wanted for free whenever you want. Sounds good right? Now I serve you a huge portion of it one day when you are starving and slather it in poop, do you still want it? Probably not so I will only add a little poop, sound better? Probably not. It doesn’t matter, poop is poop big or small and you don’t want to eat any of it. The same principle applies with God, sin is sin no matter how big or small He cannot allow any of it, that is why we must ensure that we are spotless at the end of the day.
Now is it possible to remove all sin from our lives? Absolutely! But is it possible to stop sinning during this life and become incorruptible? You bet it is! This is the wonderful power of the Atonement! This is the best of the Good News of the Gospel! This is what should bring us hope! To remove sin, we need to understand WHY we sin. The bottom line when you get right down to it and really and honestly look at it, we sin simply because we enjoy it. It’s the cheese on the mouse trap, Satan has glamourized the evil and made that which is wrong appear right and that which is right appear wrong or not appear at all. Imagine your favorite activity, something you LOVE doing, now imagine God coming out and saying that it is a sin to not only do this activity but to talk or think about it. Pretty hard huh? Now imagine something you HATE doing, and imagine God saying that this also a sin and to never do it again. Much easier this time right? Do you see why Satan has such a strong grip on the world right now? He appeals to our weaknesses that he knows so well and exploits them to our own self destruction.
The solution? Its simple, stop liking sin, if we are not supposed to do it and do not want to do it then it is easier to stop doing it. Now the snag here is addiction which is a whole discussion in and of itself so we will set it aside for now. The scriptures call this happening a “Mighty Change of Heart…. Having no more disposition to do evil but to good continually”, the scriptures have also talked about receiving a new heart and a new life. The gospel is not complicated, it is plain and simple but this is NOT easy, this word does not exist in God’s vocabulary. The methods behind the access, application and teaching of the atonement lie in the gospel and teachings of Jesus Christ, ask and ye shall receive, I urge anyone who reads this to ponder my words and to seek out the Gospel and Atonement of the Lord.
I have studied, sought after and applied every one of these teachings I have discussed and though I am the farthest thing from perfect on this planet, I can tell you it is true. This is the message of the Gospel, this is the good news that we can change and it can happen right here right now. Our weaknesses can become recognized and great strengths. We can return to live with our Heavenly Father and be like Him and receive all that he has, we can grow far passed our understanding of what our potential is. We need to believe in Christ but that will not save us in the end and it is not enough (Satan believes in Christ and clearly its not doing him any good) but we need to BELIEVE HIM. Have faith in Him and apply that which he DIED to teach us. He loves us more than we can understand and he is looking for every loophole, every excuse, every opportunity to strengthen us, teach us, forgive us, help us and bring us home. That is the unfathomable love of our Savior, the Great and Selfless Redeemer, our Lord and our brother. Through Him all things are possible.
These things I know to be true with a PERFECT knowledge and of Him and in His Holy name, even the name of Jesus Christ, I testify, Amen.



0 comments:

Post a Comment